Friday, 19 September 2014

Fashola Host Ebola Survivors In Lagos State

Lagos state Governor, Babatunde Fashola,
today September 18th, hosted some Ebola
survivors at his office at the state
Secretariat in Alausa, Ikeja. Speaking with
the survivors, the governor commended
them for coming forward to share their
experiences, saying that they are proof that
the disease is not a death sentence.
The survivors in attendance included the
widow of late Port Harcourt doctor, Dr
Emenuo Kelechi (left), Dr Ibeawuchi Morris
(second left), Dr Fadipe Akinniyi (centre),
Mr. Dennis Akagha (late Nurse Justina
Ejelonu's fiance) and Dr Adaora Igonoh.

While sharing their experiences, one of the
survivors and staff of First Consultant
Hospital, Dr. Ibeabuchi Morris, said he was
the first to receive late Sawyer at the
hospital where he was first treated for
He said after the patient continued to have
high temperature, he took the blood sample
and sent it to the laboratory, then contacted
Dr. Stella Adadevoh who advised him to
continue attending to the patient pending
the arrival of the test result. He said when
the blood result arrived it was confirmed
that he was EVD positive. Sawyer died a few
days later.
Dr. Ibeabuchi disclosed that he started
manifesting symptoms of the disease 12
days later as his body temperature
continued to rise beyond 38.5 degrees
Celsius. He said when his condition
continued to degenerate, he reported to the
Lagos State Ministry of Health and was
advised to restrict his contact with
members of his family.
According to him, his body temperature got
to an all time high of over 40 degrees at
which point the Medical team from Lagos
State came and took him to the isolation
centre after decontaminating his house. He
thanked the Lagos State Government and
all the other agencies and individuals who
took care of him and made it possible for
him to survive.
Another survivor, Dr. Adaora Igonoh,
thanked the Lagos State Governor and the
Government for their dedication in the
battle to contain the spread of the disease
which, according to her, made it possible
for some victims, including herself to
survive the virus.
Dr. Igonoh, who is also a staff of First
Consultants Hospital, commended the
hospital and the staff for the risk they took
to ensure that the disease did not spread
beyond the limit it did. She also paid tribute
to those who lost their lives, adding that
without their sacrifice, the story would
probably have been different.
Also giving his testimony, Mr. Dennis
Akagha, fiancee to Justina Akagha, a
nursing staff of First Consultants Hospital
who died days after attending to Patrick
Sawyer, said he got to hear about his
fiancee's contact with Sawyer when the
death of the Liberian was announced on
television. She later told him she'd treated
He said when the symptoms of the disease
started manifesting in Justina, they first
thought it was pregnancy induced or
Malaria because she'd told him she wore
protective gloves while attending to Sawyer.
He said that on the 14th day, Justina's
condition worsened and he took her to First
Consultants from where he was directed to
the Isolation Centre in Yaba where she later
passed on.
He disclosed that he did not immediately go
to hospital when he started manifesting the
symptoms until he started vomiting and
feeling dehydrated. He said he was finally
taken to the Isolation Centre where he was
treated and discharged after he tested
negative of the virus.
Other survivors who gave testimonies were
Dr. Fadipe Akinniyi, also a staff of First
Consultants Hospital and Dr. (Mrs.) Kelechi
Emenuo, wife of late Dr. Emenuo, who
treated one of Mr. Sawyer’s companions in
Port Harcourt and later died of the disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Your Opinion