The information came up this morning that the Nigeria president was going to visit Chibok, where the girls were abducted one month ago. We have gotten a new development. President Goodluck Jonathan has cancelled his first visit to the village from which more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted by Islamist rebel group Boko Haram a month ago due to security fears, senior government sources said on Friday.
“The president was planning to go but security advised otherwise on
the visit,” said the source of the last-minute decision to cancel the
Chibok part of the trip.
Some Nigerians have criticised the government’s initial response to
the plight of the girls, who were abducted on April 14, and U.S.
officials this week said the government had done too little to adapt to
the threat posed by Boko Haram.
Jonathan asked France last week to arrange a security summit with
neighbours Chad, Cameroon, Niger and Benin, and officials from the
United States, Britain and the European Union to discuss a coordinated
response. The summit will take place on Saturday.
Jonathan, the former vice-president, assumed the presidency of
Africa’s most populous nation in 2010 on the death in office of his
predecessor Umaru Yar’Adua and won an election the following year.
Nigeria will go to the polls again next year. Let us see the latest development.